We are facing a powerful species of mushroom with nutritional and medicinal power composed by:
Ganoderma and breast cancer
Ganoderma can be beneficial in breast cancer, both to help in the treatment and to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
After in vitro studies carried out by scientists from the University Cancer Institute of New York City and the University of Puerto Rico, in mice previously immunosuppressed and subsequently injected with tumor cells, it has been concluded that Ganoderma possesses a large natural therapeutic capacity, to treat inflammatory breast cancer (3).
Ganoderma and lung cancer
This new finding represents a great advance in the long and constant fight against lung cancer.
The GMI protein could become a possible chemopreventive agent against cancer of these organs.
Several studies have indicated that the chemical compounds produced by Ganoderma Lucidum can prolong the survival of cancer patients (1)
Its polysaccharides increase the fast development of cytotoxicity (cell death) against melanoma cells.
These studies conclude that Ganoderma polysaccharides may be useful against melanoma (2).
Ganoderma and colon cancer
The reishy fungus is considered a beneficial nutritional supplement for the prevention of colon cancer. It is shown by scientists from the University of Indianapolis.
The triterpenes of the fungus act on cells of this type of cancer.
The Ganoderma prevented intestinal lesions and cancer cases in mice caused by the intake of heterocyclic amines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (chemicals that are formed by cooking all types of meat with muscle) (5).
(1) Sun LX, Lin ZB, Duan XS et als. Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides counteract inhibition on CD71 and FasL expression by culture supernatant of B16F10 cells upon lymphocyte activation. Exp Ther Med. 2013; 5:1117-1122
(2) SunX, Lin ZB, Duan XS et als. Enhanced MHC class I and costimulatory molecules on B16F10 cells by Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides. J Drug Target. 2012; 20:582-92. doi: 10.3109/1061186X.2012.697167.
(3) J Suarez-Arroyo, R Rosario-Acevedo A Aguilar-Perez. Anti-tumor effects of Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi) in inflammatory breast cancer in in Vivo and in Vitro models… Plos One 2013; 8 (2) e 57431
(4) Instituto de Toxicología Médica y Molecular, Instituto de Medicina de la Universidad Médica Chung Shan, Taichung, Taiwán ROC. La autofagia. 2011 Aug; 7 (8): 873-82. Epub 2011 Ago 1.
(5) Silva D, Loganathan J, Jian J et als. Mushroom Ganoderma lucidum prevents Colitis-associated carcinogenesis in mice. Plos One 2012; 7: e47873
** The information presented is informative, never prescriptive.